12-Step Model at Action Family Counseling
Action Family Counseling’s primary purpose is to provide the highest quality substance abuse and mental health treatment services that are easily accessible by adolescents, adults and their families. To provide a multidisciplinary team approach based on the 12-Step Model that address problems caused by addiction and mental illness. To promote family involvement, support and growth both during and after treatment, to create a support and to introduce individuals to concepts that enforce the philosophy and practice of the 12-Step concept.
12-Step Model Found Most Effective in Alcohol Rehab
Most treatment programs are based on the 12-Step Model because over time it has continued to be the most successful method of recovery from alcoholism. Completing treatment program based on the 12-Step Model and then continuing to apply the 12-Step following treatment seems to be the most effective method for long-term sobriety.
The 12-Step Model spans all ages, races, cultures, beliefs and backgrounds. Each individual is encouraged to adopt a higher power of his or her understanding and then works through each of the 12-Step with a sponsor, a member with more sobriety who has already worked the steps. Members of the 12-Step community draw together to share their experience, strength and hope with one another to encourage continued sobriety.
The Basis of the 12-Steps in Treatment
The core of the 12-Step program is admitting you no longer have power over alcohol (or other substances) and power to overcome your alcohol/addiction must come from a greater source. Following are the 12-Step designed by Alcohol Anonymous
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
With drug and alcohol rehab locations in Santa Clarita, Piru, Ventura, Santa Paula, Pasadena, Palmdale, Studio City, Simi Valley, Bakersfield, and Las Vegas, Action Family Counseling is here to help you.
For information regarding admission, intake, and services please call Action Family Counseling at (800) 367-8336.